Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Georgia Armada Has Been Unleashed


I'm not the biggest fan of post-rock. For the most part, I think alot of it is just muso wank. Mogwai can go fall in a ditch as far as I'm concerned. There's a reason why bands are post rock...because they couldn't write a proper pop song if their life depended on it.

In addition to being the most pretentious musos on the planets, I can't stand most post rock because these guys that go by the names Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, David Sylvian, Bill Nelson etc etc have already been there and done that and did it ten times better. That being said, there are exceptions. Every once and a while some instrumental band will come along and actually create beautiful music that doesn't call for vocals. A. Armada are one of those bands. Their album Anam Cara is a massively epic wide screen sort of record with guitar riffs that go on for miles and miles and then for a few more miles. It's spacey shoegazey stuff that kills. This is a band that truly needs no vocalist to tell a tale, their melodic cascading waves of noise do that for them. Yeah, ok I like them.

So, if you think of post rock the same way I do then you can think of A. Armada as the post rock band it's ok to like.

Download: The Moon Shifts The Sea The Sea Shapes The Shore The Shore Shakes The Sand The Sand Sinks The Ship

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn that was harsh! Wondering what you think of bands like Explosions In The Sky and Friends of Dean Martinez?

Paul POP! said...

My whole thing with Mogwai began when they made shirts in 1994-95 that said...blur are shite. Well at that point...Mogwai as far as I was concerned could get to fuck...I can live w/o post rock in general. If you have one Tortoise record you have them all. Haha.