Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Jurrassic POP!


On their current self-titled album, The Terrordactyls' quirky, lighthearted yet decidedly melancholic pop/anti-folk tunes are augmented by toy pianos, kazoos, and the voice of Kimya Dawson

Despite all these charming trappings, though, nothing really serves to take the edge off the band’s gutsy interpretation of the sad sweetness (or sweet sadness) of living. This is demonstrated by the contrast of their childlike music to the dark and serious subject matter explored by lyrics such as (from “Fall”):

“Shoot me in the face / I’ll shoot you in the face / We’ll see which one of us / Can shoot the other in the most accurate place / Stab me in the chest / I’ll stab you in the chest / We’ll see which one of us / Can stab the other in the chest the very best / Hang me from the rafters / And I’ll hang you from the lamp post / We will see which one of us / Wants to end everything the most.”

Despite being labeled a “lo-fi” band, The Terrordactyls say they “strive for the highest fidelity” while maintaining the whimsy you might expect in homemade recordings. And if that doesn't sound like a sales pitch than I don't know what does.

Download: Overcast Summer
Download: Growing Old

No comments: