Monday, June 23, 2008

Saturdays=Youth Sundays=Laziness


It's been out for a while now, but M83's new album Saturdays=Youth is still floating around my damn brain. I think the first thing that drew me to this record was the photography and how it looked like a scenester influenced Benetton ad. It was just the right amount of bizarre and cool to sucker me in and then I actually heard the thing.

The record marked a change to a friendlier, pop-shaped direction for the band and after being around producers Ken Thomas and Ewan Pearson it's easy that they did a fantastic job. Thomas gave M83 a big sound and Ewan Pearson gave Saturdays=Youth a smooth modern edge.

According to M83 himself, "The idea was to have the sound of the Eighties and at the same time have the sound of nowadays," says Gonzalez. "But what I really like about this album is that it sounds like nothing that's around now. Nothing has the same ambiance."

If you haven't heard the new album yet, judge for yourself below.



Download: We Own the Sky (Maps Remix)

No comments: