Friday, March 6, 2009

His Name Says It All...Darren Keen


After a couple day of bangers and mash, so to speak. It's time to cool down a bit. So everyone welcome my good friend Darren Keen. Like his last name his songs are good. Really good in that sort of twisted kind of humor way.

Sure, he's kind of a singer songwriter, but his stuff is funny and takes the piss while at the same time still trying to be kind of serious. It's good stuff that sounds about as lazy as a Sunday.

Here's Darren to explain about his new album, Slumberparty Record. "I’ve wanted to make a “nice” album for a long time, but, my other bands are all strkingly un-”nice” sounding. The point was at first to please the ear, but that only led to the realization that my voice will never “please” any “ears”. The point for me was to write pop gems that didn’t drag on. One verse, one chorus, maybe two if that’s what it took to get the point across, that’s the point. Postmodern huh? My name is Darren and I made “Slumberparty Record” in my bedroom all by myself. I’m terrible at the drums so I used a $5 toy keyboard rhythm section. This was really fun to make, and I hope you enjoy listening to it. You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high."

Download: Good People Like You
Download: Hot Air Balloon

No comments: