Monday, March 9, 2009

Put Your Drugs Under the Rugs


The music of the 60s casts a mighty shadow – so formidable, in fact, that bands have a pretty tough time escaping it. Which is a blessing for anyone within earshot of Drug Rug, a Boston-based vintage pop duo that owes a sizable debt to many a proto-punk, many a flower child, and many a Beatle.

Keen on the Everly Bros, The Velvet Underground, The Byrds, and Paul & Linda’s righteous RAM, Thomas Allen and Sarah Cronin create the sort of stuff music writers like to call “timeless.”

Drug Rug have that folky call and response thing down to a tee and they manage to warp that sensibility into heartachingly beautiful pop that almost sounds as if Dylan himself produced the tunes.

These songs might be a bit older, but they're quite good! I'm not sure why I never posted them. So enjoy a blast from 2008.

Download: Day I Die
Download: Winter Time

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Drug Rug! They opened for Dr. Dog and I bought the LP which is some sick delicious vinyl (clear with all sorts of splattery colors in it). It came with a CD too and I played it over and over in the car for like a week!

Paul POP! said...

Hey Jack...
Awesome. I should have gone to that show...but shows on weekdays are super difficult to get to because of the j-o-b.